Transfers! I think I can safely say that everyone thought I was gonzo in Gijón, including me. But, here I am! Honestly, I can´t believe it. I´ll be here with Hermana Carroll for at least another 6 weeks. Now the real question is where I´m going to finish. Bets, anyone?
It was a crazy week. I guess we´ll start with my birthday. It was a good one! I´ll be honest, birthdays in the mission are kinda stinky when they aren´t on a P-Day. They are just like any other day. Halfway through the day I honestly forgot that it was my birthday! But, lots of people were so kind and took good care of me. Thanks to everyone for the birthday e-mails and letters! They made it awesome. We spent the morning contacting and then taught English with our Spanish family in the afternoon. We walked in and Marta, the mom, said, "Hermana, I´m sorry, but things are just going to be a little bit different today." And then she brought out flowers (she´s a florist) and a cheesecake for all of us to eat. We ate it and drank an herbal tea afterwards. So Spanish. They are so awesome. Then, we went with the Branch President´s wife, Gladis, to "preach to the pueblos" because "they need the gospel too." She contacted with us and then we visited a less active woman. It was such a beautiful little town! I told Marivi (the less active woman) that if I lived in Spain, I would want to live in Villaviciosa, and she told me that I should really rethink that because that town is going straight to hell when the Savior comes. Hahahaha. I´m still having a good laugh about that one.
It was a good day! I can´t believe that I´m 22. Ew. I´m so old. Especially in the mission with all of these babies coming in.
The rest of the week went well! We have some of the cutest investigators. I really, really love them. Their progress is slow, and because of that, we are continually looking for new ones, but I really think that good things could be coming in the future! The future is as bright as our faith in Gijón! That´s our recent motto.
I had a really sacred experience with the Book of Mormon this week that I wanted to share with everyone. I was really struggling with the branch this week because of some personal things that are happening, and one night (the night before transfers when my stress level was up to my eyebrows) I definitely reached my breaking point. All Friday night and Saturday morning, I had the most distinct voice in my head saying, "Read Alma 26. Read Alma 26." I´ve read Alma 26 about 372915623750 times on my mission, but this time I really read it. I was really touched. I´ll give you all the play-by-play. Ammon says:
1 And now, these are the word s of Ammon to his brethren (the sons of Mosiah...aka...the best missionaries ever) , which say thus:
My brothers and my brethren, b ehold I say unto you, how grea t reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great bles sings?
At this point, I was saying to myself, "Nope. I really can´t see any reason to rejoice right now. Why in the world am I reading this?"
Still, I was saying to myself, "Nope. Can´t see it." I´m thinking that the sons of Mosiah were saying the same, because then Ammon says:
for our brethren, the Lamanite s, were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold, how many of them are brou ght to behold the marvelous li ght of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowe d upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands o f God to bring about this grea t work.
I couldn´t move on for almost the rest of personal study! I was feeling so ungrateful and discouraged. I honestly wanted to just get transfered to get rid of all of the problems because that would be easier. As I read that phrase, ("that we have been made instruments) I felt the Spirit so strongly. Here, in Gijón, I have felt more strongly that ever before in my mission that I have been made an instrument in the hands of God. There is no other blessing greater than that! I promise. I am grateful to be here for the rest of my mission (probably). I know that the Lord is trying to humble me and try my patience. This area and these people are helping me to grow more than I could in any other area in the world. I´m grateful for the scriptures and for the promptings of the Spirit.
Anyways...that was my week in a nutshell! I hope that you all have a good week as well! Que Dios os bendiga!
Love,
Hermana Endicott
P.S. Say hello to your neighborhood pelirroja (ginger) again!
| PDay on the North Coast in Spain |
| Cheesecake for Hermana Endicott's birthday! |
No comments:
Post a Comment