12.02.2013

First Week in Alcala

Hola familia!

My fingers are nearly frozen off typing this e-mail. No one warned me about how cold Alcalá is! En serio, hace frio! It actually reminds me a lot of Rexburg cold-ness. It´s the wind that kills you. If someone could send me a really, really fat, knit scarf, hat and gloves, I would love you forever! 

Although it´s freezing, Alcalá is beautiful! I would closely compare it to Segovia and Toledo! I love the sights here! What a priviledge it is to be in a tiny, Spanish town for the holidays! The streets are lined with lights and they are making an ice-skating rink in Plaza Cervantes (like town square)! I finally feel like I am serving in Spain and not in a mix of South American countries! You can look at the pictures and enjoy!

Yes, I did have a Thanksgiving dinner. Honestly, it didn´t feel like Thanksgiving, but the dinner was a help. There is a cute newlywed couple in our ward who both served missions and claimed that they knew how to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Um...it was a nice attempt, but nothing like the American Thanksgiving that I know and love! They cooked a full chicken but didn´t know how to cut it. I was dying. I told the husband that normally the man of the house cuts the turkey and his face turned white. There was stuffing, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Unfortunately, she left the dirt and mud on the outside of the sweet potatoes, so we were basically eating dirt the whole meal. Haha. It really was a sweet attempt and made us feel really good. 

I love the ward here! We are 8 missionaries in total (4 elders and 4 sisters), which means that it is a pretty thriving ward! The missionaries that are here are really awesome and hard working. So hard working, in fact, that they pay a lady from the ward to feed them everyday because the "don´t have time to go grocery shopping." Elders....

I am loving serving here! I am sure that there is a ton more that I could say about things, but to be honest, I am really disoriented and am still learning who all of our investigators are! I´ll update you more as I know more! 

I am so happy to hear about all of the exciting things going on at home. I was thinking about Karrie and Brett all weekend! That is amazing, and the pictures made me cry. I am so glad that Noah got his patriarchal blessing. I would love to hear it if that´s allowed and if you have a chance. I love mine and read it almost everyday on the mission! It really helps me to stay focused on the work. 

I thought I would challenge you guys to do something with me! President and Sister Jackson have asked all of the missionaries to read "The Living Christ" every day in the month of December. At the end of the month, we are going to get together in District Meeting and share our testimonies about the Savior. I think it´s a wonderful idea. I am going to try to memorize it in Spanish. I would love if you guys could do it with me! I will be reading it every day in personal study, and maybe once before I go to bed. I think it´s an awesome opportunity to worship the Savior, learn more about Him and recorgnize the importance of the Atonement in our lives, especially during the holiday season. After having finished "Jesus the Christ" this year, I am excited for this opportunity. 

I love you guys and am really, really looking forward to skyping on Christmas Day! It´s coming up soon! 

Con amor,
Hermana Endicott

No comments:

Post a Comment