5.29.2013

Where did the week go?!

Hello family!
Wowzas, week 3 went by fast. I am a little more than halfway done with my time at the MTC, and it´s safe to say that I´m freaking out a little bit.

This week was pretty normal. Class, meal, class, meal, class, meal. I would say that this week was the hardest on me. We had a HORRIBLE lesson with our investigator, which ruined my whole day Tuesday. It´s amazing how passionate I am about those people. I can´t even imagine what will happen when I have REAL investigators! I was so frustrated because he was asking some pretty absurd questions, and we didn´t know how to answer them in English, let alone do it in fluent Spanish! I felt so discouraged at that moment. I was frustrated that I hadn´t paid more attention in 20 years of Sunday School, seminary, Relief Society, etc. I was frustrated that those classes don´t even teach the answers to these investigator´s questions! Anyways…I was super frustrated, but with a lot of prayer, I feel more comforted. I know that my experiences in the MTC are teaching me so much and are preparing me for things to come.

I have my first cold here on my mission. Everyone was sick 2 weeks ago and I thought I was in the clear, but I just couldn´t shake it. Oh well.

We got to watch the Joseph Smith movie on Sunday. What a spiritual experience. Since being a missionary, the Joseph Smith story just seems so personal to me now.

I have received a couple of nicknames this week that might be a lot more interesting than Utah. Haha. I guess you could say that I am the mommy figure here. I always have tissues, hand sanitizer, and napkins on hand. I help people peel oranges, wash their sheets, make their beds and clean up their desks. I sew buttons on Elder´s shirts, iron the Hermana´s blouses when they don´t know how to use the iron (there are a LOT of 19 year olds here), and teach them how to use the Spanish washing machine (which is even confusing for me). Everyone was calling me ¨Mama¨, but two days ago, it morphed into ¨Hermama.¨ Even the teachers call me Hermama too. Sometimes, depending on the context, it changes to ¨Hermommy.¨ It´s pretty hilarious and actually makes me feel like I have some purpose amongst this group of people here. Haha. I´m choosing to take it as a term of endearment. They always let me go first to get food because I´m the mommy, ¨Mommy gets a break because she´s sick¨, etc.  Also, one of the teachers can´t say my name for the life of her, so she calls me ¨Hermama Handycat.¨ Don´t ask. It´s confusing to me too.

The elders do the best impression of the ¨muffin man¨scene from Shrek. Elder Puri (the one from Scotland) also does an awesome Mufasa impression.

Elder Hachtenberger (Austria) is teaching me one German word a day. I´ll be fluent soon enough. I love getting in touch with my German side. I just love that language!

Anyways, life is good here. 18 months seems like a lifetime when you are in the MTC, but I´m sure that I´ll make it. I´m starting to get sick of my clothes. Thinking about the fact that I have to wear a skirt for the next 500 days makes me want to die a little, but it´s a small thing to sacrifice when you are doing big things for the Lord! I am so excited to be here; there´s no doubt in my mind that I got my visa in time. I was supposed to be here with these people, teachers and leaders. I am so grateful for them.

Mom, I´m dying for a water bottle. They are about 20 euros for a good one here…could you possibly send me mine? I am sure that my body wants to kill me because I´m not drinking enough water.
Thanks for everything! I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. We heard about the tornado. I didn´t even think that you guys would be driving through it! I´m glad that you´re safe. Tell everyone I love them and that I miss them!

Con Amor,
Hermama Handycat
P.S. sorry for no pictures...I literally didn´t take one this week!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment