5.27.2014

Veal Heart

Hola familia!

It´s been a crazy week around here. We have walked A LOT, taught A LOT and eaten A LOT (hence the title of this e-mail). I ate a whole load of veal heart on Thursday. It actually wasn´t that bad...it´s just the texture that bugs me. I didn´t even know what it was until I was done eating (thank heavens). I feel like most of the time I don´t know what I´m eating here, and I am happy with that.

We are having a hard time with our investigators this week. Alex, the golden investigator, has dropped off the face of the earth. He won´t pick up the phone and didn´t come to English class or church. We are really, really sad. He was really progressing. We aren´t sure what happened. It could be that his phone isn´t working or that he´s on vacation, or it could be something more complex. We are praying that we will be able to communicate with him and figure out his douts. 

Nelly, an investigator from Honduras, is amazing. We contacted her on the street, and she was really interested. We committed her to be baptized on the first visit. She told us that she had seen Elders walking around in her country before but never talked to them because she wanted to be taught by women. When we contacted her on the street, she said that it was an answer to her prayers. She had been waiting for many years to find Hermanas, and now she has! There´s only one little problem: we can´t meet with her. Haha. She takes care of a 90 year old Spanish woman (we call it slavery) 24/7. She lives with her, does all of her shopping, takes her on walks, feeds her, cooks, cleans, pays the bills, etc. She isn´t allowed to leave the house unless she is going to do some sort of shopping for the Señora. This rule started when we started meeting with her. The Señora won´t let us come to the house either, so we have phone lessons with her. She is amazing. She LOVES the Book of Mormon. We coordinate times to meet with her on the street and give her the folletos, tell her to read them, and then we call her and have a lesson. To anyone else this would seem really weird, but I love it! She is really, really progressing. She isn´t able to come to church (BIG FAT BUMMER), but we are hoping for a miracle and praying for the Señora to open her heart! 

Gijón is a branch that really needs to catch the spirit of missionary work again. They are really struggling with a lot of things right now. We are trying to help them understand the function of the Spirit in the Sunday meetings. It definitely could use some improvement. Hermana Brumble and I give a spiritual thought and an invitation to start the Relief Society Meeting every week, and I think that it´s working. The Spirit is just not there in the meetings, and I think, because of that, we are having a hard time getting people to come to church. Having the Spirit in church meetings is SO IMPORTANT (Moroni 6). We can´t come to church ready to fight with everyone about doctrine, be irreverent or gossip about other people. We come to church to partake of the sacrament and renew our covenants with Heavenly Father. Our primary goal should be to create an environment in which we can feel the Spirit and really focus on our covenants. So, we, as the missionaries, are really trying to focus on how we can help get this branch excited about coming to church every Sunday and how we can involve them in missionary work. I feel like the progress has been slow, but I think that´s how the Lord works most of the time. All we can do is be diligent, happy and always be there to serve them. 

Things are good here! I am so tired, but so happy. I love this work. I know that the Lord pours out His blessings to us every single day; sometimes, we just have to look closely for them. I know that the gospel is true. It just makes so much sense to me. 

Congrats to Noah! Graduating from High School is a big deal! Also, congrats on the ordination! That´s so cool. I´m glad that you are progressing so well and are happy. I am sad that I am missing so many cool things that are happening in the family! Just wait for 5 more months!! It´s killing me. Oh well...

I love you all!
Hermana Endicott

No comments:

Post a Comment